Monday 28 May 2012

016 Buddha Machines (Refill)

The original Buddha Machine is a lo-fi hardware loop player created by FM3 (available in 7 funky colours):



I first came across the Buddha Machine when I downloaded the LAS-9 app for my Android phone:



A very simple app comprising looped samples lifted from the Buddha Machine 2.0 or 3.0 (samples were downloadable from links within the app) triggered by clicking on any of the 9 cryptic symbols to create a multi-tracked ambient track (the hardware buddha machine was monophonic I believe). Some basic sample properties such as pitch and panning are editable within the app. As the samples in LAS-9 vary in length the sound morphs in time and never fails to tire and shortly after I started this blog I had an idea to create a Buddha Machine Refill.

Contained within the Refill are the following:
  • Buddha Machine samples (1.0, 2.0 & 3.0 (Chan Fang) in .WAV format obtained from here, converted using Bias Peak Pro where only mp3 files were provided)
  • 3 NN-XT patches
  • 3 RNS Song Files containing Buddha Machine Combinator Combinations where the individual loops can be triggered from the Combinator buttons (just make sure the run pattern devices button is selected)
For more details I suggest you download and start experimenting!
The Refill:

Buddha Machines.rfl

The Buddha Machine Combinator Combination Skins (example):


2 comments:

  1. Ghostly, your dropbox link was down so I uploaded your wonderful refill here so it's still available to people who stumble upon your page. It's one of my favorite refills!

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkesb6pnf2o9avg/Buddha%20Machines.rfl?dl=0

    ReplyDelete